Monday, January 23, 2017

"Dear Applicant, We did not select you."

Sometimes when your heart is set on something- then it is crushed with 5 little words... it can be difficult to keep your perspective.

Life is short
Life is a gift-
So with those 5 little words, tell yourself that the chapter to come will far exceed the chapter that just closed.

Sting- it does.
Yet

Joy is larger than this news- and if we can keep our heads up- knowing all that we have to offer... there is the vision that you and I will be able to use our talents and gifts where they best fit. We have to remember- doors close for a reason and we might actually be thankful for the news someday.

I once was the 2nd choice for a school that I hoped to get.
A couple of months later- 4 schools listed me as their number one choice! I was able to serve the one I was matched with and it was awesome! I saw the experience and talents in my life come into the arena of making school a place where ALL kids shine.

How did that happen? I believe that leadership starts with heart. A heart for all kids means you put yourself (as the principal) in every child's seat for a day. You ask, "Would I like this? Would I grow in this instructional design?" This happened when I look at our special education department... their classroom was located between the band room and the music room... think about that. drums on one side, singing on the other. What if my child was in there with an auditory processing disorder?
I got to clean that up! Then I put myself in the shoes of the child on a gifted plan. Do you know that GT students often struggle with suicidal thoughts? Perfectionism and frustrations haunt often haunt them... so we created a model where our students have a coach- learning and life... teaching them how to advocate for themselves- how to modify their learning so it fits- and they have an adult to go to when they are feeling frustrated. This is incredible. A principal got to make that happen!

I found my main work was to find ways to produces opportunities for inspiration.
I think that is the magic in the work. We fan the sparks of dreams in the next generation- we get the honor and privilege of serving those dreamers- and equipping them with excellence... I KNOW education can improve as a profession. I KNOW we can bring more dreams from the spark to a bonfire- I KNOW the power we have as educators to make a difference in the world.

I know- because I have seen the spark in kids like Montel, Itzel, Jonathan and Jessica. I know because I have brought the joy back into teaching for educators like Mark, Dixie, and Nancy... I know because a good heart is not to be taken for granted... and mine will make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment